Girls soccer team falls behind

Joseph Medina, Sports Editor

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The girls varsity soccer team has recently been struggling with teams in the Western League. With a current league record of two wins, five losses, and two ties, Venice is fifth in front of Westchester and Fairfax.

The girls have been adapting to their new coach, Jose Palomares. Unfortunately former head coach, Brenda Escobar, left Venice High School at the end of last year. The girls are now experiencing a new coaching method.

“We play more freely instead of having a strict coach,” said Captain Valeria De La Torre. “We work as a team that’s not forced.”

On Feb. 3rd, Venice visited LACES and returned with a loss. In the first half of the game, the Unicorns were only able to score one goal. In the second half of the game, the game ended with an unfortunate score of 6-0. The girls weren’t able to redeem themselves. On their previous face off Dec. 18, the girls lost to LACES 2-0.

During the last game in January, the girls were running up and down the field with University. Neither teams scored, which resulted in a tie.

Venice conquered Westchester in a home match on Jan. 27, with a final score of only 4-2. In the first half of the game, Westchester put up a fight, allowing Venice to only score one goal. During the second half, Venice scored three more goals, taking the victory.

On Jan. 25, the girls took on the Hamilton Yankees . The final score was a disappointing 5-0. Venice was defeated by the Yankees on Dec. 9 with a score of 3-0 as well.

For Venice’s second game of the season, the girls visited Wilson and wiped them out with a final score of 6-0, bringing home the victory.