Summer Volunteer Opportunities

Melissa Mateo, Editor in Chief

In order to graduate from Venice High School, students must complete 40 hours of community service. It is recommended to complete 10 hours a year, although students usually leave the requirement for the last minute. It would be best to get it out of the way this summer. Students should pick an organization that revolves around a hobby or career path they’re interested in, to make volunteering a great experience.

Giving back to the community through these organizations can open doors for future job opportunities and expands students’ network. It gives students “on the job” work experience and improves their communication skills. Volunteering with programs outside of school helps build a student’s resume and makes them a competitive candidate for scholarships and college acceptances. Consider the following three organizations:

1. Adopt and Shop- Culver City.
This is the perfect place for students who are avid animal lovers! In order to become a volunteer, students must be at least 14 years old. They should be willing and able to dedicate eight hours of service a month for three months.

Before volunteering, students must attend an orientation. A volunteer’s responsibilities are to assist in the adoption process, socialize with cats and dogs, take care of kittens, clean kennels, and photograph adoptable animals.

2. Midnight Mission
Midnight Mission is a non-profit organization that provides pathways to recovery to men, women and children who have “lost direction.” They provide help to the homeless population of Los Angeles. They have emergency services like: 12-step recovery, family living, job training, education and workforce development programs. They offer a compassionate bridge to achieve and maintain healthy, productive lives.

Students can sign up to help make food boxes and hygiene kits, sort clothing and assist in clothes distribution, special event preparation, meal service in the Mission’s kitchen and tutoring for all age groups and levels.

This organization works with everyone’s schedule. You choose when you want to go and how long you want to stay. This makes it easier for students to fit in their volunteering during the summer.

3. 826LA
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping K-12 students support and enhance their creative writing. Located in Mar Vista, around Venice and Centinela Boulevard. During the summer High school students between the ages of 16 and 18 have the opportunity to volunteer at the English Language Learner Camp.

Volunteers will work directly with elementary students on weekly creative writing projects. This gives students the opportunity to improve their own writing skills and become a leader in their community. At the end of the summer, students publish two books. In order to participate students must attend an orientation, complete a background check and fill out an online application. To see a list of upcoming orientations, and to sign up, visit 826LA.org/volunteer. For more information, contact Lauren Humphrey ([email protected]) in Mar Vista.