• Senior Grad Night: June 6!

Science Behind Pixar Review

Emily Elias, Reporter & Assistant Opinion Editor

Like most teens, you probably grew up watching and loving a lot of great Pixar movies. Now at the Science Behind Pixar Exhibition at the California Science Center, you can see how all of your favorite characters came to life. There’s big, life-sized statues of Buzz Lightyear, Mike and Sully, Dory, Edna Mode, and WALL-E that you can take pictures with. This exhibit is very fun for anyone because you can do activities like build a robot, explore lighting with Dory, design a virtual set and many other fun, interactive activities.

In the exhibit, there are eight sections showing the process of how these incredible Pixar movies are made. The sections are Lighting, Sets and Cameras, Stimulation, Modeling, Rigging, Surfaces, Animation, and Rendering.

Within these sections, there is a few work stations where you can do hands-on activities. The work stations that are included are: Set Layout, Surface Appearance, Face Rigging, Virtual Modeling, Crowd Stimulation, and Virtual Lighting. These work stations are very entertaining.

The Science Behind Pixar Exhibition will be on display until April 9, 2017. The California Science Center, located at 700 Exposition Park Dr., is open daily from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

If you live here in Venice, you can easily get to the Science Center by taking the Expo Line, which will drop you off on Exposition and Vermont. Tickets are $11.95 with your student I.D. You can buy your ticket online or at the box office, but I highly recommend buying your ticket in advance as this exhibit is extremely popular.

The Oarsman gives the Science Behind Pixar Exhibition a very well deserved 10/10. This exhibit is a lot of fun no matter what age you are. So head on over to the Science Center and release your inner Pixar-loving child. If you have any further questions, you can visit www.californiasciencecenter.org for more information.