Journalism Applications Being Accepted Now

Application deadline has been extended to Friday, March 20. Turn them in to Room 11.

Some of the 2014-2015 staff has fun during a late night.

Update: Deadline has been extended to Friday, Mar. 20.
Newspaper adviser Nancy Zubiri is currently accepting applications for next year’s Oarsman staff. Deadline for the applications is Friday, March 13, 2015. Applications should be dropped off in Room 11, by the football field. To join the staff, you must have a C or better in your English class.

Oarsman editors will be visiting English classrooms in the next few days to talk to students about joining journalism. Students can also pick up applications in Rm. 11 or by clicking this link.

See The Oarsman page on Venicehigh.net for some photos of past staff members.

Oarsman staff members enjoy their time on the staff.

“Being part of the newspaper is fun because I get to interact with many other staff members,” said Photo Editor Cinthia Hercules. “We get to know each other as a family. And I love taking pictures.”

Joseph Medina, Assistant Sports Editor, joined this year. “It’s a great experience to work with all these people,” he said about the staff. “It’s fun knowing what’s going on around the school, especially in sports.”

Students in the journalism class, taught by Ms. Zubiri, has little homework, because most stories are written in class. But does require staying after school two to four days a month, when deadlines loom. And students often participate in workshops, conventions and fundraising events on weekends.

Many former staff members have gone on to use the journalism and computer skills they acquired in future jobs.

Elliot Stiller, class of 2013 graduate and former editor-in-chief, is currently a reporter for The Argonaut in Marina del Rey and also works as a social media manager for Bergman Beach Properties. Stiller said he learned so much during his time on the Oarsman staff.

“The Oarsman is a place to try out writing, photography, business and design– and find out what you really like to do!” said Stiller. “You can win national honors for you work, beef up your college application and your confidence, all  while hanging out with cool people that become more like a family. You’ll have kind mentors and even a chance to go to a national convention!”