Deferred Action for Immigrants to End

Desmond Andersen, News Reporter

On Sept. 5, President Donald Trump rescinded DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), a program put in place by former president Barack Obama back in June 2012. This program has protected qualifying undocumented immigrants—specifically those came to the United States at age 16 or younger—from deportation and provided them with eligibility to work.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security describes the the end of the program as an “orderly phase out.” Currently initial requests to receive DACA benefits are no longer being accepted and renewal requests will only be accepted up until Oct. 5.

President Trump has put the responsibility on Congress to spend the next six months focusing on reforming immigration policies surrounding DACA beneficiaries and creating new legislation to take the place of DACA.

There are a number of DACA recipients, often called Dreamers, within the Los Angeles Unified School District. The administrative board sent out a letter to families regarding the federal decision. “We will continue to create safe spaces where students can flourish and engage in conversations about these critical issues,” wrote Superintendent Michelle King. “[LAUSD] stands shoulder-to-shoulder with immigrant families and employees.”

Mr. Ivan Amador, a teacher’s assistant at Venice High, is a DACA recipient himself. He is currently studying at CSU Los Angeles, pursuing an English degree with teaching credentials. Without DACA, he wouldn’t be able to receive in-state tuition.

“Keep studying,” Amador encourages fellow Dreamers. “School is really important if [you] want to make a difference in this country and [your] lives. Keep the positive thinking.”

If you are or know a Dreamer please take the time to explore the following websites:
– Department of Homeland Security DACA FAQ: http://bit.ly/2eBLz2X
– Immigrant Legal Resource Center: http://bit.ly/2wHzEuq
– LAUSD Resources: https://achieve.lausd.net/weareone
– Other Resources: informedimmigrant.com / unitedwedream.org / weareheretostay.org / dreamers.fwd.us