Westside Story Preview

West+Side+Story+Spring+Musical+at+Venice+High+school+

Mya Gates

West Side Story Spring Musical at Venice High school

Jennifer Romo, Entertainment Editor

This upcoming school musical “West Side Story” is a classic musical about a modern Romeo and Juliet who are involved in a gang, on the harsh streets of the upper west side of New York.

According to Drama Director Tracy Thrasher, West Side Story has been one of the most successful musicals at Venice High School. It  hasn’t been done in 20 years, however a variety of the songs have been performed in past musicals.

The musical will be presented on April 20, 21, 27, and 28 at the Mark Twain Middle School Auditorium, 2224 Walgrove Ave due to construction at the Venice High auditorium.

This upcoming musical will involve a variety of 50 students from Venice High School such as athletes, singers, actors, and dancers. It involves an extensive amount of exciting dancing especially. Auditions are currently being held, so official casting for roles isn’t official yet.

“People are so impressed by our program,” said Ms. Thrasher. “I was offered free catering for our cast party, which involves over 50 people. This musical offers a wide spread of student diversity. West Side Story is an example of very excellent theater and the drama department will live up to its expectations. This is a not- to- miss performance.”

Students will soon be able to purchase tickets from a cast or crew member for $10, the tickets will be $12 at the door.