March 14 Walkout

Venice High School's Memorial/Walkout for the Parkland shooting that occurred February 14th. Students and staff set up 14 student desk and 3 teacher desks.

Mireya Curiel

Mireya Curiel

Yume Kamal, News Reporter

Hundreds of students from Venice High school marched to the front lawn at 10 a.m. on March 14 to honor the 17 victims of the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Venice High was part of a nationwide effort to commemorate the victims as well as protest the current gun laws.

Earlier in the day, students were already being interviewed by Channel 9 news. Students crowded around a booth where students collecting signatures for better gun laws. Local pedestrians also took the time to come onto Venice High including the owner of Rico, a white husky who stands with Parkland too.

The school’s staff had set up 14 empty student desks and three teacher desks right behind them in honor of the teens and teachers, whose lives were taken on Valentine’s Day. Also in remembrance, each victim’s name was announced following with a moment of silence. The event was organized by school staff and student leadership.

“The students did a great job organizing the event today,” said English teacher Ruth Greene

The school community had many opinions about the memorial. They expressed support or disapproval. Some criticized that it was supposed to be a walkout and was too controlled by the administration. Other students thought it brought awareness to unnecessary gun violence.

“I think the victims don’t need prayers and thoughts, they need change,” expressed senior Jessica Hernandez. “They need law changes and gun control.”

At the end of the day, Interim Principal Doris Lasiter gave thanks to all staff and students for organizing this memorial. “You made us all very proud,” said Ms. Lasiter.