Should Venice Have an Open Campus? No

Should+Venice+have+an+open+campus+%3F+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Venice Have an Open Campus? No

Should Venice have an open campus ?

Should Venice have an open campus ?

Janna Rae

Should Venice have an open campus ?

Janna Rae

Janna Rae

Should Venice have an open campus ?

Estefany Huerta

NO.

Since the Venice High School campus is open to the public, it’s a place where anyone can do whatever they want in any part of the school. People can damage the school property whether it’s purposely or accidentally, such as breaking a window or breaking into a building, vandalizing with graffiti, and even harming our plants. 

Venice needs a fence to avoid issues like vandalism. According to a study by Handover Research, “Maintaining property line markers such as fencing may serve to establish ownership of school grounds and increase the respect of school property.”

Fences can also restrict entry and exit points to a few easily monitored areas and they also limit access to areas that are not highly visible. A fence keeps intruders from coming on campus.

Another problem with not having a fence is that with the huge open areas, students are more likely to ditch school. It’s too easy for students to walk off campus if they don’t want to be in school or simply want to grab some food. The open spaces also give the opportunity for students to come back on campus the same way they got out or through other available open spots. Adding an ornamental fence with vertical bars around our school would make it harder to leave school without permission. 

Unfortunately, gun violence has grown over time and there have been more school shootings. Parents are afraid that a school shooting can occur on their kid’s school campus. CNN claims that this year, there has been 45 shootings in 46 weeks. That’s an average of one school shooting a week. Because Venice has such a large campus, a fence would help with security efforts. Our school’s security personnel are understaffed to the point where counselors have to do supervision duty, when that’s not their job. 

While a well-positioned fence can certainly improve the security of the school, it won’t fix everything. A fence should only be used alongside other safety measures to keep our school safe.