High School Relationships Are Bad

Back to Article
Back to Article

High School Relationships Are Bad

Nadera Powell, Opinion Writer

They say that “nothing lasts forever in high school,” and as racing hormones and constant new crushes run wild, there are unintended emotional, social, and mental consequences that are often left unaccounted for. There is a lot of give and take in any relationship, but when you are dating during your most heightened stage of socio-emotional development, the lasting effects of a “first love” or “first heartbreak” can hold weight in the hearts of young lovers for many years after graduating, and sometimes even for a lifetime. 

Though relationships are extremely tempting considering the idealistic assumption that “the one” will be found in a class or by an accidental bump in the hallway, it is best for high schoolers to steer clear of relationships for as long as they possibly can for their own benefit.

Many people in high school develop friendships and try to keep a balance between their love, social, and academic lives. But sometimes unfortunately, love can pull more weight than the others. What can end up happening is that your significant other can turn into your only friend, and most girls can be emotional beings who are very hyper-sensitive to how others perceive them. Some girls put themselves on the line to save a relationship, and consequently they lose touch with their girlfriends and their friendships, and, left unattended, have damaging emotional effects.

“When I was with my boyfriend of two years, we were always together,” said junior Naomi Rodriguez. “My friends told me that they were concerned I was becoming too dependent on him and I waved off their feelings because in my mind ‘I was in love.’ My circle eventually saw I wasn’t going to change my actions, so I was cut off and to this day I deal with the trauma of my relationship and friendships ending. I wish I would have listened because I could have avoided a lot of heartbreak and instead been having fun.”

There are no longer invites to group-friend activities since the assumption is you are always with your significant other, and the high school friend environment becomes uncomfortable. 

College is the expected next step for high school students, and the preparation and finances that come along with it creates a conscious tenseness in the mind and life of an average student. But when you add the additional stress of a relationship, the romance can become a distraction and life goals can be put on the back burner in the name of love. 

This is especially true if a relationship starts at the end of high school and the importance of college increases. Questions such as “Are we going to be long distance?” or “Should we just be friends?” arise, and college decisions impacted by your significant other can throw your focus off and make you lose sight of your own future just to secure a spot in someone else’s. 

College can be a test to the strength and vitality of a relationship, and the trust needed could possibly work out in favor of the couple. Or against it.  Nevertheless, the strain college adds to the relationship could cause both partners to be emotionally and mentally drained, and cause them to second-guess their dreams and aspirations.