Jose+Corona

Jose Corona

We’ve made it to the end of the race. Our bodies don’t know whether or not to cheer or stay neutral. We’ve accomplished so much in four years, some more than others. We survived a pandemic, we lost a loved one, we made friends, we lost friends, we enjoyed our time, we struggled, we loved, we broke up, we laughed, we cried, we celebrated, we pondered. High school tested our minds and our spirits. It prepared us for what’s to come. Months or even years from now, we will have jobs, move out of cities, move out of states, out of countries even, possibly start school once again, but we will always remember and carry on our memories from high school. 

Venice High will always be connected to our memories and thoughts. All the times we laughed in front of Myrna Loy, all the times we cried on our friends’ shoulders, all the times we interacted with our favorite teachers, all the hangout spots that we would take up in order to feel cool. One of the things I will miss most about Venice is the sense of community. I brought friendships from middle school and I made some everlasting ones at Venice. The ambiance of the busy hallways, the white walls, the quiet libraries, the construction, the dirt field, grease night, football games, classrooms, lunchtime, clubs and activities light up my mind just thinking about it. 

For anyone who is going to read this who has yet to graduate from Venice, I want you to know just one thing. Make the best of it. High school is long, but once it’s over, you will look back on all the things you could have possibly done, possibly said, possibly been. Sit and think about this. 

For me, college is my next step on the path to realization. I had big dreams of attending a four-year university straight out of high school. I went as far as to apply and be accepted into many great schools. I realized that I was not ready to endure the journey yet, so I decided to attend community college first. Whether you attend a community college or a four year, college does not define you. It does not define who you are, what you make of yourself, who you become. Even if I attend community college first, I am still on track to become who I want to be. I am the first in my family to graduate high school, and that is an achievement that I will always be proud of to the day I leave this earth. I hope to become a lawyer or work in the legal field, simply because I want to be the one to help people. 

I would like to thank every teacher that has had a conversation with me. Thank you for listening to what I had to say, and I wish you the best in your professional endeavour. I would like to thank the teachers who I became friends with rather than student to teacher. 

I would like to close this statement with a quote from a book I read in my World Literature class about two weeks ago (thanks Ms. Lisowski). It goes as follows:

“Most people…are like a falling leaf that drifts and turns in the air, flutters, and falls to the ground. But a few others are like stars which travel one defined path: no wind reaches them, they have within themselves their guide and path.” 

Thank you for reading this, and I hope you the reader lives a life of enjoyment and pleasure. I hope all your dreams come true and the people around you show you their love and appreciation. To  my friends reading this, thank you and until next time.

Best,

Jose, the Class Clown

The Oarsman • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in