Virtual Senior Graduation

Virtual Senior Graduation

Rita Gamboa, Reporter

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, seniors from around the world are missing out on their graduation. But that hasn’t stopped schools from hosting their own virtual graduation though. Venice High administrators and teachers are going to be hosting their own virtual graduation on June 11 at 5:00 p.m. The graduation will be streamed through Microsoft Teams unlike the award ceremony which was on Instagram Live. Seniors will need to submit a slide to Mr. Vicente through Google Slides by June 10 to have their picture shown during the graduation along with an optional listing of academic, social achievements and post-graduation plans. For more instructions and examples look for schoology updates from your counselor or teachers.

The ceremony will start off with a welcome from double biliteracy award recipient, Talitha Villanueva, then the pledge of allegiance given by ASB president Breanna Mixon and an opening from Principal Gabriel Griego. Valedictorian Johnny Pan will give a speech along with seniors Mya Edwards and Virginia Villalta who are also giving honorary speeches.

Assistant Principal Lakisha Clark will give the presentation of candidates and class of 2020 faculty sponsor Cris Vicente will present the roll call of graduates. Class of 2020 president  Makena Cioni will present the acceptance of degrees to conclude the ceremony.

The link for the graduation can either be found on the Venice High School website at the bottom of the senior section or on Instagram @veniceseniorawards. The link will go live at 5:00 p.m. so be sure to keep a lookout for it.

Seniors will be able to pick up their cap and gowns as well as any awards or tassels they have obtained for their academic achievements next week on June 8 and 9 by appointment only. They will also return any books or materials lent to them by the school before they can receive their diploma. Students will still have to keep the Covid-19 precautions like wearing masks and standing six feet apart from each other. Appointments will go by last name and the schedule is on the Venice website. We hope to see you all there supporting the class of 2020 in their accomplishments.