Principal Griego to Leave Venice High, Will Be Remembered As Someone Who “put us on the map as ‘The Famous Venice High School”

Julia Escobar

Venice High Principal Gabriel Griego.

Arely Ocampo Bartolo, Engagement Editor

Principal Gabriel Griego will be leaving Venice High at the end of this school year after leading Venice for the past three and a half years, beginning in the 2018-2019 school year.

Family and his two to two-and-a-half-hour commute to Venice from his home also impacted his decision, he said.

“My second daughter, who will be a sophomore in high school, is a very special basketball player and I want to be available to support her practices and games,” he said. 

Griego looks back on his time at Venice with joy. He said that he will think fondly of events like winning back to back to back championships for the girls’ soccer team as well as the overall school spirit.

For incoming seniors, Griego has been the only principal they have known. He said that he expresses his support for the Class of 2022, which will “be a very special class at Venice High and around the world—the first senior class post-COVID to have classes totally in-person.”

He added, “I would like to thank the VHS community for allowing me to be the principal for the past three years and wish all the students and staff the best of luck going forward.” 

Many students and staff will remember him as a great principal and a friendly face on campus who always wanted the best for his students. 

“Mr. Griego will forever be known as the principal who respected the Venice High School community and school culture,” said assistant principal Yavonka Hairston-Truitt. “He put us on the map as ‘The Famous Venice High School.’”