Venice to Host Homecoming Dance on Oct. 23rd

Eric Lee, Editor-In-Chief

For the first time since 2019, Venice High School is planning to host a homecoming dance.

The Alice in Wonderland themed event will take place Saturday, Oct. 23rd, said music teacher David Lee, the ASB adviser.

“We had originally planned it for the day after the game,” he said. “But given that we still needed for the district to approve everything and to get vendors and finalize other things, administration and I decided to push it to the 23rd, which gives us more time to breathe, time to plan, time to talk to the vendors, and time to finalize all the details rather than rushing around.” 

In addition, the night of the dance follows a minimum day, which will make for “a more chill weekend for both admin and students.” 

There are a few things to take note of before rushing to buy tickets, which will go on sale in the coming weeks.

“Due to the capacity restraints, we are limiting the dance to only Venice students. Everyone attending does need to sign an agreement form and get the dean’s approval to buy tickets,” Lee said. 

“We will also require everyone to wear masks because the pandemic is still happening,” he said.

There will be a designated eating area where students can safely remove their masks.

Senior Arely Ocampo Bartolo, ASB President, helped plan the dance and is excited to see it come to fruition.

“I’m looking forward to having one last dance with my friends, especially underclassmen because they can’t come to prom,” she said.

Bartolo said she enjoyed working with her peers to help coordinate the dance. 

“It was a lot of fun to get to pick the theme and figure out how we’re going to decorate,” she said.

She is confident that Homecoming 2021 will serve as the return to normal that everyone has been hoping for. 

“I think that we deserve this dance after the year that we’ve had,” Ocampo said. “It’s going to bring back a lot of school spirit because we haven’t experienced normality in a while, and this is really the first normal event.”