Students And Staff Reflect On Breakfast In The Classroom

Julissa Alvarado, Reporter

Before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, students at Venice High would often enjoy the luxury of breakfast in the classroom during their second period class.

Popular items on the menu included the famous coffee cakes covered with glazed sugar and maple syrup-flavored waffles. 

But students are finally back at school, and due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the school no longer serves breakfast in the class. Second period is still longer than other classes, but breakfast isn’t being served anymore as it was before. 

Teachers and students have different opinions regarding breakfast in the classroom. 

The removal of breakfast in the classroom has affected many students here at Venice High, said Title One coordinator Lorena Santos. Many students depend on eating at school, and other students commute long distances and don’t have time to eat breakfast at home. 

“I think students should have the opportunity to eat in the morning but also given our situation, maybe breakfast in the classroom is not ideal right now,” she said.

In fact, some students often arrive late to their first period because they stop at various off-campus establishments to buy food. They often visit places like Saby’s Cafe or Mario’s Brothers Mini-Market because they know they will be hungry during the day.

“On the way to school I often stop by Mario’s Mini-Market to buy snacks because I don’t have time to eat at home and they no longer serve breakfast in the class, and the only time school would give food is during lunch,” said freshman Sophie Pilar. “And the lines are way too long, so I prefer to stop and buy snacks from Mario’s because I enjoy the variety of Mexican products they have.”

Many teachers find it beneficial to have no breakfast in the classroom because they have more time to teach and it also prevents any messes, Santos said

English teacher Christine Tachiki prefers no breakfast in the class “due to the mess afterward,” she said.

“I don’t like the fact second period is 15 minutes longer though,” she said.