Girls’ Soccer Hoping To Win Fourth City Championship

Nicole Rosales, Reporter

Girls’ soccer has advanced to the CIF city championship once again as they look to capture their fourth straight city title. They will take on the John F. Kennedy Cougars tonight at 5:15 PM. 

Coach Chaka Forman said that the Gondos are going in with a lively attitude. The team finished their regular season with a strong 13-6 and have been peddling through playoff games ever since.

“We expect a lot from Kennedy, nobody makes it to the final without deserving to be here,” he said. “It is a short turnaround from our game Wednesday and there is no time for adjustments. We will need to enter the battle ready to fight.”

This season, the girls soccer team delivered 13 victories overall, including eight in league. Senior Johana Ventureno, a team captain, is proud of the Gondos.

“This season, I believe, has been one of our best seasons by far,” said Ventureno. “We started off in Division 5 my freshman year. This soccer season we’ve accomplished making it to Division 1.”

Throughout the playoffs, the team’s biggest strength seems to be their bond and their willingness to keep improving. Throughout the playoffs, the team faced Chavez, Sherman Oaks CES, and Banning.

“The semifinal vs Sherman Oaks CES was very challenging. They presented several problems for us to solve,” Forman said. “I was proud of the team’s focus, intensity, and resilience.”

Although the Gondos faced challenges, according to Forman, they served as learning experiences for the team.

“I like our team, we believe in ourselves. We believe if we play our best, we will win the prize,” Forman said. “We are confident and hungry for more.”