Boys’ Basketball Makes Southern California Finals

Isaac Ng, Sports Editor

Boys’ basketball has advanced to the CIF Southern California Finals and will take on the 21-6 Viewpoint Patriots tomorrow at 6:00 P.M.

This is the farthest boys’ basketball has ever gone in the postseason during coach David Galley’s coaching tenure, according to Galley.

If the boys triumph tomorrow, they advance to the CIF state championship in Sacramento. 

“I’m so excited, and it’s an honor to be this far,” Galley said. 

Galley thinks it will be “a good game.” 

“They’ve got very good guards, shooters, play hard defense, very disciplined and good at the transition game,” Galley said. 

To prepare for tomorrow, Galley said the team will make some minor tweaks based on their opponent’s tendencies. 

“We’ve been watching their film looking for their offensive and defensive tendencies, and we’ll look to exploit that,” Galley said. “But we won’t change anything too drastically.” 

The Gondoliers are coming off a 54-49 overtime thriller victory over the one-seeded Rancho Verde Mustangs. According to Galley, the Gondos were down six points at halftime and came out strong in the second to pull off the win. 

“We made a few adjustments at the half,” Galley said. “They had a good shot blocker so we played him at the top of the key.” 

According to Galley, the game was close throughout as the Gondoliers never trailed by more than eight points and they got key baskets when needed.  

Galley gave credit to every player for playing a role, but highlighted the performances of seniors Devyn Johnson and Percy Jackson, and sophomore Tyler Hunt.

“Tyler was our leading scorer,” Galley said. “Devyn handled ball pressure well and Percy was great defensively.” 

Galley also praised senior Oscar Lopez for hitting big shots down the stretch and leading the press.