Boys’ Tennis Enters The Playoffs In Hopes Of Continuing Their Victory Streak

Photo posted on Instagram: @vhs.boys.tennis

Robert Gavidia, Layout Editor

Boys’ tennis is on a two-win streak heading into playoffs and will be facing Chatsworth High School today at home in their first playoffs game at 12:30 p.m.

Coach Andrew Horen says he likes the team’s chances going into the playoffs and is “happy with the victories.” 

“The LACES match was really really close,” Horen said. “The match came down to our last doubles match where our captain Joseph Kung and Kevin Yamashita won in a third set tiebreaker,” he said.

According to Horen, the team’s strength is built on unity. 

“We have a lot of good players on this team, and we just want to make sure everybody’s at their best when it comes to game time.”

Norman Maxey, co-captain of the team, said one of the team’s strong suits going into playoffs would be their doubles teams as “doubles teams are a crucial part of winning playoff games in tennis.” 

As a captain, Maxey says that his knowledge of the sport helps him to assess the game at hand, which allows him to pitch into other players’ strengths and weaknesses.

The team is continuing to work on refining consistency, Horen said.

Maxey agrees as he thinks the whole team can get better with their serves. 

However, Horen is confident in the near future of the team. With the team more “focused and strong” he likes their chances going into the playoffs. 

“We’re just trying to keep getting better as tennis players mentally and physically, working on our double skills working on our single strategies,” Horen said.