Venice Introduces Film Making Class On Campus

Lights, camera—it’s actually a class.

Venice introduced a new film class with teacher Charlótte Medina. The class is based around filmmaking, cinematography and film history. 

“It’s just exciting to be coming to a place where I’m generally enjoying what I’m doing and just sharing with the students something I’m very passionate about,” Medina said. 

Students can expect to learn about the history of film and filmmaking techniques. This will give students the chance to stand in the shoes of a director and get a taste of what creating something truly feels like. 

“While creating something, you learn how to appreciate it a little bit more and then you begin to understand it and you hopefully, learn to love it,” Medina said. 

Senior Jairo Avalos said that he’s already picked up on some major understandings of what goes into successful production in the class.

“It doesn’t take a good director and good actor to make a good film—it also takes a good crew to make a great film,” he said. 

And don’t feel threatened by this new experience if you don’t know much about film because this class will teach it all. Medina will help illuminate all the bits and pieces that go into the art. 

“As long as you come in with an open heart and mind to whichever subject that you’re taking, you’re going to learn something,” Medina said. 

Students can even take inspiration from the lessons taught in class. With plans to cover various genres in film, Medina will teach lessons on influential movies such as Trip To The Moon (1902) and others she will roll out during the year.

Along with various projects, students will have the chance to create an About Me video, photography basics, intros to cinematography, and a stop-motion assignment. 

“Having a smartphone with a camera is really important…a lot of the projects are gonna record you to be filming on campus at your own time when it comes to planning, organizing and editing.” Medina said. 

Whether it be teaching film history or how to create films, Medina hopes to show everything she knows to her students.