Golden Globes Host Takes Barbie “Joke” Too Far

Art by junior Bryan Lopez

In Jo Koy’s opening monologue in this month’s Golden Globes, he tried to make a funny joke in his deeply unfunny monologue about the film Barbie. He said it was about “a plastic doll with big boobies.”

It was a sexist joke that definitely fell flat to the audience. The Barbie movie was marketed to show feminism and to uplift women. This ultimately goes against what Barbie stands for and feels very much like a slap to the face to all women. Men like Jo Koy always feel the need to degrade women. Coming from a female’s perspective this joke felt like it was making fun of women in general. 

Many women and young girls felt connected to Barbie since we share so many strong feelings about feminism and sexism. This movie helped express those feelings and gave us a comfortable platform to feel safe. 

This “little” joke went against everything the Barbie movie stood for, showing how little respect Koy had for this movie and women. The audience did not take light of these jokes Jo Koy was spitting out. As cameras panned to director Greta Gerwig, Margot Robbie, and Ryan Gosling, they had very subtle awkward smiles on their faces trying to cut the awkwardness. Many other celebrities showed disappointed expressions on their faces.

Jo Koy definitely felt this awkwardness and tried to redeem himself with more under-skilled jokes. At some point, he knew it was bad and even tried to throw his writers under the bus for his jokes. “I wrote some of these and they’re the ones you’re laughing at,” he said. 

He also tried to blame it on having little time to prepare for this gig (“Yo, I got the gig 10 days ago,” he said.) In his plan to try to redeem himself from this mess, he did not succeed. If anything he dug himself into a deeper hole. 

Koy just showed a prime example of how sexism is still going on today and men will always try to shine down women. He also showed how little skilled he is as a comedian. There are many other jokes you can make about Barbie, but he had to make a sexist joke. 

Barbie will always be a great story about feminism and the empowerment of women. Despite these little jokes, these have helped women remember why Barbie exists and how women will always rise above and stick together.