Student Run News Site of Venice High School

Stay Updated—Subscribe to our Newsletter
Polls

Do you plan to return to in-person learning this semester?

• Yes (70%, 158 Votes)
  • No (30%, 68 Votes)

Total Voters: 226

Loading ... Loading ...
The Oarsman on Twitter
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.

Doesn’t Matter The Occasion—Color Guard Rises Above All

Color Guard is ready for competition season, rain or shine. Even with outside practice days lost due to rain, and minimal time getting to work in the gym, Color Guard expects a positive season outcome with many returning members.

According to Color Guard caption head Francis Abastillas, there are about six competitions including a championship event that the Color Guard is working towards.

“The idea is basically just to foster love for performing and love for the arts,” she said.

This past Saturday, the guard kicked off their competitive season in the Orange County area at Aliso Niguel High School. The team placed sixth in the second round. Color Guard has been working on their winter production called “Together At The End Of The World,” as part of the Winter Guard Association of Southern California.

The theme of the three-and-a-half-minute performance is the apocalypse and tells the story of people working together during dark times. The team uses various props such as the standard flags, fake rifles, and fake sabers.

In the first semester, the team collaborates at football games with the marching band, mainly for show at halftime. During the second semester, the team starts competitions by themselves.

On the quad: Freshman Kai Lopez retapes her flag during practice. (Roxane Gama)

The team practices every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday for two hours in preparation for the events. Even when practice is interrupted by rain, the team makes use of their time by preparing equipment and going over logistics.

“A lot of the production side has been telling people where to go, finding their spots, defining what happens in particular moments, then we fill in the gaps with choreography,” said Abastillas.

The day of competitions, the team gathers equipment, stretches, and does run-throughs to fix minor mistakes along the way.

Senior Leo Monterrubio, a captain, said they’ve had setbacks due to the lack of time they’ve been able to use the gym. Despite this, Monterrubio, who has been on the team since their sophomore year, is optimistic due to the amount of students returning.

“We have a lot of returners, so it’s people who have experience here, and we’ve been building up on our basics,” said Monterrubio.

“There’s just a lot more opportunity to improve and grow this semester.”

The team hopes to conclude the season towards the end of April with championships.