Student Run News Site of Venice High School

Stay Updated—Subscribe to our Newsletter
Polls

Do you plan to return to in-person learning this semester?

• Yes (70%, 158 Votes)
  • No (30%, 68 Votes)

Total Voters: 226

Loading ... Loading ...
The Oarsman on Twitter
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.

Let’s Band Together Now! Here Comes The Mighty Gondolier Marching Band

In Room 3, a synchronized piano melody carries throughout the classroom, settling behind the bustling sound of students talking—Venice’s Mighty Gondolier Marching Band poisefully prepares for practice.

After rising from Division 1A to Division 2A and participating in nine competitions, the band will continue to play for local school and community events.

On Valentine’s Day, the band popped into classes playing requested songs from students, like George Michael’s “Careless Whisper,” for SaxyGrams.

Guiding the band towards competition readiness is music teacher Scott Sutherland, who has been the band director since 2022.

“The growth, the camaraderie, the team building–the way they’re pushing each other is really fantastic to see,” Sutherland said.

Last December, the band competed in the Southern California School Band & Orchestra Association district championship, clocking in a nine minute performance called “Summer at the Beach in Venice.”

“It’s definitely something commendable—the students never stop working,” he said.

Junior Lisa Lopez has been marching with the band since her freshman year. She plays a multitude of instruments including mallet percussion, cymbals, and the mellophone. She’s competed in about 20 competitions.

“I love seeing all my friends and being able to go with them to competitions and performances,” she said.

During competitions, the band plans a field show, where students are tasked with learning songs and are scored visually for their marching.

This semester, the marching band will transition into concert band music outside of school while continuing to play during school activities.

“It’s really where we push ourselves musically versus physically during the fall when we’re out on the football field,” Sutherland said.

Lopez has seen immense growth in the band’s proficiency and is optimistic for future accomplishments.

“Some people had no history of learning music and they were brand new to the whole concept,” Lopez said. “But they have grown a lot.”

“We have people with different types of musical
backgrounds,” said Lopez. “Every single person has their own unique story with band.”