Work Permits with Mr.Silberman

Corina Pineda, Reporter

Reading Time: < 1 minute

With summer around the corner, many students are going to be looking for jobs, which for minors means getting a work permit.

“Many people are mistaken. They think they have to get their permit before getting a job,” said David Silberman. You can’t get the permit until someone hires you. So line up your job before school lets out.
The requirements for a work permit are fairly easy.

“You have to fill out the permit form, bring in student ID or birth certificate, and you have to keep up your grades,” said Mr. Silberman, who gives permits out to anyone living in the Venice area.

The permits, which are good for one year, “can be removed if grades fall,” explained Mr. Silberman. Your GPA may not be lower than a 2.0. To get a work permit, pay a visit to Mr. Silberman in Room 132, before school, during nutrition, or lunch.

According to the department of industrial relations website,, “Permits issued during the school year expire five days after the opening of the next succeeding school year and must be renewed.”