VHS Alumni Scholarship

Venice High Alumni Association Scholarships are open to Venice seniors.

Alicia Valenciana, Opinion Reporter

The Venice High School Alumni Scholarship Program stands as a lasting tribute to many people, organizations, and businesses, who have seen the good character in the young adults of  Venice High School and have had the generosity to help further the students’ education.

The VHS Alumni Scholarship is available to seniors who have been enrolled at Venice High for four years. Students applying must also be full time students with 12 units or more, or six classes. Students must also be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents and are required to submit financial information through the FAFSA Student Aid Report.

In the past year, $125,000 was given out to a total of 28 seniors, ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 for each senior.  

The VHS Alumni Scholarship is also available to juniors who have been enrolled at Venice High School for three years. Last year, three juniors received $1,000, but the money was held until their senior year.  

Applications for the scholarship will be available next semester on the VHS Alumni website, venicehighalumni.com. They must be submitted by April 2, 2018.

The scholarships are given out based on both financial need and merit. Merit must reflect grade point average and community involvement.

Students will receive their financial award letters during Senior Awards Night, May 22, 2018. Students will receive an envelope that same night, directing them on how to retrieve the money once they’ve applied to the college they wish to attend.

Applicants must submit both an essay and letters of recommendation as part of their application.

Student applicants can receive help regarding the application process from their college counselor, Ms. Jamie Simon-Meyer, or from the help button on the online application.

I hope that every junior and senior goes to the Venice High Alumni Association web page and applies for this free scholarship money,” said Grant Francis, president of the Venice High School Alumni Association.