Why People Don’t Go to Prom

Adamarys Abad, Sports Reporter

Every year during the month of May there are always those students that say ”I’m not going to prom,” and people’s responses are always why?

A lot of people simply aren’t financial stable enough to afford prom. For others, prom just isn’t their kind of party. others have no dates and unfortunately, some don’t get approved. In order to attend the dance, you must get permission from the dean. If you’re absent more than ten times throughout the school year, you cannot go to prom unless you write an appeal, and even then there is no guarantee you will be allowed to go.

“I’m not going to prom this year, I need to save money because senior year is already expensive,” said senior Jose Lopez who was has been going to Venice all four years.

Many people also don’t go because of the fact that they don’t have a significant other and feel embarrassed about going to prom without a date.

“I want to go to prom, but I don’t know how I feel about spending $115 on a ticket just for a school dance.” said senior Andrew Ellersick who has been at Venice for two years.

Prom overall is an expensive event. Depending on where a girl buys her dress she is looking at paying at least $200 on a dress. For a lot of people $200 isn’t a lot of money, but for others it is something they just can’t afford. But let’s say you get lucky and find a dress for maybe $80, you’d still have to pay at least $100 for hair, nails and makeup. For a boy, tuxedos are not cheap either. A rental tux is at least $198 and that’s just for a rental and the ticket itself is $115.

If you’re not going to prom for whatever reason, just know you’re not alone. Don’t be embarrassed to say “I’m not going to prom.”