Gondolier Prom 2018

A Night Under the Stars

Julissa Ventureno, Esdras Melgar, and April Cuarenta

Yume Kamal, News Reporter

Venice High School Senior prom was held on Saturday, May 19 at the California Science Center in the Wallis Annenberg Building, located at Exposition Park. The theme seniors voted on in October 2017 was Starry Night.

Julissa Ventureno
Prom King candidates Jake Nuesca, Sergio Salas, and Alejandro Sanchez. Prom Queen Candidates Valeria Romo, Adamarys Abad, and Jaden Corona.

Students seemed to enjoy their prom night. “My feet are hurting from those seven foot heels but it was worth it,” said senior Delanya Armelin.

The venue featured a large fountain that in the center of the room and the Rose Garden, in full bloom, outside the venue where students were able to take photos before entering the building. The caterers offered a variety of food that also included vegetarian options. They served salad, bread and butter, chicken alfredo, ribs, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes.

Julissa Ventureno

Formal photos were offered by CFP Photography. Students also took photos at the free selfie studio with a couple of backgrounds and had caricatures drawn. The Junior Class also sold sandals in the bag check-in room for $5.

The price for the prom ticket started at $115, then increased to $120 closer to the prom date. Students had to be approved by the dean before purchasing prom tickets based on their attendance. They could not have more than 10 absences. During the week before prom there was an issue with prom tickets being sold out. There was a list of students who had waited until the last minute to buy prom tickets because of certain circumstances and faced the chance of not being able to attend prom. Venice High School’s finance manager, Harry Delu, was eventually able to extend the list and sell a few more prom tickets. Students who were on the list purchased their tickets for $140 and were able to attend prom. A total of 407 prom tickets were sold, which includes the tickets sold with the Senior Package. 

Harry Delu and Nathan Nino

Julissa Ventureno

“I’m thankful I was able to purchase my prom ticket, even though it was last minute but, I really don’t think we should have worried about not getting them,” said senior Asa Bravo. “It makes no sense that prom tickets were sold out. The school should have been more organized and prepared to have enough tickets to the whole senior class, as well as the underclassmen. At the end of it all, prom was really fun.”

Although Culver City High School attended prom the same day at the same location, they were located in a different building at the California Science Center.

Julissa Ventureno

Julissa Ventureno

Julissa Ventureno

Julissa Ventureno

Julissa Ventureno

Julissa Ventureno