New Assistant Principal

Simran Ali, Editor-in-chief

Mr. Rene Maza is the new assistant principal at Venice High School and is the new administrator for the Media Small Learning Community.

Some of Mr. Maza’s responsibilities include discipline, safety, supervising the athletic and elective departments, and managing student body activities.

When asked how he likes Venice High so far, Mr. Maza replied, “I always get this positive energy when I walk around the school.”

Mr. Maza said that the students and teachers have been very welcoming and friendly and that he is looking forward having an amazing experience.

Mr. Maza mentioned that he is from San Diego, whereas his father is from the Philippines and his mother is from Mexico.

Mr. Maza received his degree in Political Science from University of California, Los Angeles. He has worked as an assistant principal since 1999 and has also taught history and English in the past.

Mr. Maza said that he was an assistant principal at Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies from 1999 to 2012. After that he worked as an assistant principal at Fairfax High School for one year,” said Mr. Maza.

Mr. Maza replaced Richard Jenssen, who worked as an assistant principal last year for the first time at Venice High School.

“My goal is to be helpful to the school, students, and teachers and to help them achieve their goals,” said Mr. Maza.

When asked about his hobbies, he said that he plays in the band called Crinoline and that he has started to watch Bollywood movies, which he thoroughly enjoys.