Pink Out!

Julissa Ventureno

Students show their support at the Pink Out game by wearing pink clothes.

Kylon Wade, Features, Reporter

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The annual celebration of Pink Out was celebrated on Oct. 12 at Venice High’s football game against Palisades. Pink Out is when people around the world raise awareness about breast cancer and how it negatively affects families.

Wearing pink on this day help’s bring more awareness to the issue at hand. Pink Out is celebrated worldwide through Oct. 1-16. Students such as football players wore pink socks and cheerleaders wore pink bows in honor of Pink Out. The Sports Medicine team sold pink cupcakes, Pink Out t-shirts and other items.

Unfortunately, Venice’s Pink Out was cut short due to the excessive amount of rain and lightning on Friday, Oct. 12. A timeout was called during the varsity game with Venice beating Palisades 10-0 . The game was postponed to Saturday, Oct. 13, the day of the Homecoming dance. On Saturday, Palisades came out with the win with the score of 24 to Venice 17.

Pink Out was organized by the Sports Medicine team in order to fundraise money to help Los Angeles Board Association Center. Several members of the Sports Medicine team helped sell the items.

Giving Back chairwomen, Frances Flores and Lorena Alvarado, also arranged a photobooth at the game.

The Sports Medicine team did not really profit from the event because of the significant amount of time loss, said Flores.

“The rain was not on our side, and because of that, if we couldn’t really raise the money to help breast cancer awareness day. We had lots of unsold cupcakes unfortunately,” said Flores.