Best Buddies Club

Desmond Andersen

Members of Best Buddies club host a table at the spring club expo.

Jacqueline Sanchez, Assistant Editor

Best Buddies Club was recently brought back to Venice High and is being sponsored by Spanish teacher Andrea Page and co-sponsored by special education teacher Melissa Cornelius. This club brings typical kids and special education kids together to get to know each other and become friends. Club members create meaningful friendships with each other and help special ed students to live independently, improve public speaking, self advocacy and communication skills.

Best Buddies serves students with  intellectual and developmental disabilities, but also includes people with Down Syndrome, autism, Fragile X, Williams syndrome, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury and other undiagnosed disabilities.

The club is in the process of being established and will be fully established by the beginning of next semester. Students are already meeting with their buddies every Friday at lunch in Room 221. Anyone is welcome to join.

“I wanted this club at Venice because, first of all, I have a child who’s in special education here at Venice and also I just really think it’s important to include all of the students,” said sponsor Ms. Page.

Best Buddies is an international nonprofit organization that was founded by Anthony Kennedy Shriver, who is chairman and CEO of the organization. This club has impacted more than 1.2 million individuals with and without disabilities worldwide and is active throughout high schools and colleges all over America.