How to Prepare for AP Exams

Elisa Martinez, Staff Writer

May, the month when AP testing takes place, is three months away, which means that anyone who is taking AP classes must start planning out their study routine. Three months may seem like plenty of time to some students, but time can go by quickly.

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are college-level classes that can be taken while a student is in high school. These classes offer college credit as long as you pass the AP exam in May with a minimum score of three. Even if you receive a three on the exam, there is no guarantee of receiving any college credit. Many colleges require a score of 4 or 5.

Every student has different study habits, whether it’s creating a Quizlet set, making flash cards, re-reading chapters, going over the material or studying with friends.

A first step you can take is pinpointing the material that you struggle with. Try to prioritize understanding more difficult and unfamiliar material. This does not have to be done in this month, but students are highly encouraged to do this no later than February.

To those who don’t mind spending a few bucks on a good AP prep book, you should consider buying one this month or in Feb. The school library and the local libraries have an array of prep books. The books are useful in that they streamline everything that you need to know for the exam.

As May approaches, you should continuously adjust your studying plan. Make sure you take a mock exam weeks before the actual exam. Most Venice teachers offer mock exams in a mid- to late April.

Those who will be taking an AP exam for the first time should familiarize themselves with the format of the AP exam. Talk to your AP teachers; they will be able to provide you with additional information that you need regarding the AP exams.