LA Clippers Foundation Provides Girls with Free Prom Dresses

Julissa Ventureno, Editor-in-Chief

The LA Clippers Foundation treated underprivileged young women to a free prom dress, hair and makeup application, a pair of heels, an evening bag and matching accessories on April 7 at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel near LAX. The nonprofit organization supports surrounding communities in civic, educational and humanitarian aspects.

This year they helped about 300 students, double the number from last year. Some students from Venice High applied for the free prom dress and accessories.

“The makeup artist I was talking to was really nice,” said senior Lorena Alvarado, who appreciated the organization’s giveaway. ¹She was guiding me and giving tips. My dress is different than what I would’ve picked by myself and it was really good quality.”

Julissa Ventureno

Attendees were fascinated by the female empowerment demonstrated by the music played by the young girl DJs from the nonprofit “Girls Make Beats” and inspiring speeches by prominent role models such as Grace Rose, a 16-year-old designer and founder who raises awareness for cystic fibrosis.

Not only did the L.A. Clippers Foundation provide essentials for prom, but they also provided breakfast and a raffle where a handful of girls won prizes such as speakers, gift cards and even a 24-hour limo service.

“I was glad that everyone had the opportunity to get a dress for prom,” said senior Destiny Clark. “The fashion show was a fun addition to it. I liked all the dresses on the runway. I’m really happy with the dress I got because now I don’t have to go to Downtown L.A. for an expensive one.”