Softball Suffers First Round Playoffs Exit

Kelley White, Reporter

The Venice softball team overcame a tough start to the season and qualified for the playoffs but lost in the first round to Chavez High School.

The 13th-seeded Gondoliers lost 9-5 to 4th-seed Chavez, who made it to the city finals.

“We played really well.” said softball player Ariana Soto. “It was probably one of the best games we played all season, but it is what it is and we are coming back stronger next year.”

With an overall record of 11-13 they were still able to make it into the Division I CIFLACS Playoffs. Last season, the Venice varsity softball team claimed the title of Western League Champions and was the runner-up of the CIF City Section Playoffs. Players are now planning to improve next season.

“To prepare for next season, we definitely will have summer conditioning, summer practices run by the team and we are also pushing for sixth-period softball.” said Soto.

Former Venice player Milana Casillas came on as head coach mid-season and was able to pick up the team and lead them to success.

“We could have had more practice in the first semester, but due to the softball field not being there and the (former) coach, everything was disorganized.” said softball player Kayla Navarette.

Next year the coaches are hoping to get two fields at Penmar Park and have it as the team’s official home field.