Girls Basketball Struggles in the Beginning of Season

Riley+Horita+%28%2322%29+dribbling+against+Ventura+High+Schools+in+2019.++

Julia Escobar

Riley Horita (#22) dribbling against Ventura High Schools in 2019.

Daniel Ho, Website Editor

The girls’ varsity basketball game has struggled at the beginning of the 2019-2020 season, starting out with a record of two wins and five losses. Last season, the girls started out with a record of three wins and four losses over their first seven games. Despite their struggles, they have remained optimistic about their chances of making it back to the playoffs. They will play their next home game against LACES High School on December 13 at 4:30 P.M.  

“So far, this season has been rough,” said senior captain Chrissy Wakasa. “There hasn’t been a lot of practice because seventh period got canceled, and that’s when we usually practice. Now that seventh period is back and we have more time to practice, we are starting to find our rhythm. We are also playing many more games now. I think our future is still bright.” 

Even though they have lost five games, these losses came against top-ranked teams in the city, such as Santa Monica and Taft High School, who are both considered powerhouse basketball schools. Despite their struggles, the girl’s basketball team has also won against good teams such as St. Bernard, a private Catholic school that is one of the best teams in the city.

Unfortunately, the girls team lost their first league game against Westchester High School DATE by a score of 82-50. They will play the Comets again on Jan. 24 at Westchester. 

“Lately we’ve played more as a team which is a good thing as we start playing league games,” said senior captain Iris Hirata. “Right now we need to focus on finishing games well and not getting too tired.”