Venice Girls’ Soccer Coach Chaka Forman Recognized by CIF and Positive Coaching Alliance

Isaac Ng, Sports Editor

“It is refreshing to be recognized for what we are doing with the girls soccer program at Venice,” said girls’ soccer coach Chaka Forman. 

In February, Forman was among the many winners for the 2021 Regional Double-Goal Coach Awards.

He received the CIF LA City NFHS California Coach of the Year award for soccer, Positive Coaching Alliance Double-Goal Coach Award, and was even in consideration for National Coach of the Year. 

“The awards were a surprise and an honor,” Forman said. “I really don’t coach for accolades. I coach to make a difference in the lives of my players and to provide them a growth experience that will last beyond their time in high school.”

Forman said that he thinks it’s incredible to be noticed for Venice soccer, as there are lots of great soccer coaches in CIFLACS. He also thanks families for writing recommendations, as it is the only way for coaches to be even considered for awards. 

“Knowing that families would take the time to write something on behalf of their child’s experience is meaningful for me,” Forman said. “It validates everything we are trying to do: win, play hard, and create a culture of togetherness.”

Additionally, Forman said that he is glad that the girls’ soccer team is finally getting the recognition they deserve after being overlooked for many years. As they rise up each year in divisions, the girls know the competition will get tougher as they try to create building blocks to stand in and support themselves. 

Senior Tiffany Sun also said that it’s still surreal the team went from D5 (Division 5) to winning back to back city championships. 

“Chaka really helped to bring the team together and is a constant support on and off the field,” added Sun. “We’ve reshaped the Venice girls soccer name and even now the team anxiously is waiting to get back onto the new field.” 

Forman said that it’s been incredibly hard on the team this year. They were poised for a three-peat and their senior class is loaded with talent, so trying to keep the same energy next year will be quite tricky.

“We are doing our best, but our hands are tied a bit with all the restrictions,” he said. “No matter what happens, we will be back ready and strong.”