Grad Nite Returning for Seniors After Two-Year Hiatus

After a long and complicated four years of high school, Venice High seniors finally get to unwind and spend time with friends during graduation festivities. 

Where better than the Happiest Place on Earth?

After two years of seniors not being able to attend Grad Nite at Disney California Adventure, the Class of 2022 will be able to celebrate their graduation with Mickey Mouse himself. 

Disneyland began hosting Grad Nite in the early 1960s and Venice High has participated in every one offered,” said Gloria Halfacre, the Venice PTSA Secretary, Historian, and Fundraising Chairperson. “It is a way to celebrate their big achievement in a fun, safe place.”

When Grad Nite was  announced as an opportunity again, many seniors were ecstatic. 

“After the pandemic, it made it very difficult for the school to have social events, so I’m glad that I’ve been given the opportunity to experience Grad Nite my senior year,” senior Ranee Jayne Sy said. “Just the idea of going to Disneyland is exciting for me, but it is also being able to enjoy it with the amazing friends I made throughout my four years at Venice.”

Don’t worry, parents…your kids will be completely safe at Grad Nite.

“Once we arrive, students will go through extensive checks—a bag check, metal detectors, drug sniffing police dogs, and pat downs if the dogs pick up anything,” Halfacre said.

Sy said that she does not have any concerns about Grad Nite. 

“My only worry is that hopefully I don’t get sick right before Grad Nite and cannot attend,” she said. “I am so thrilled,” Sy said. “I’ve been talking about it all year, and I know it will be an experience like no other.”

Students will also have chaperones assigned to them who they will be able to communicate with through the Remind App. 

Students will also be required to download the Disneyland app, according to Halfacre. On top of that, after 8:00 P.M., all of Disney California Adventure will close and will only be accessible for graduating seniors. Students must remain until 2:00 A.M.