Super Tuesday At Venice

Here in Los Angeles, CA and across the country, citizens voted in the primaries two weeks ago for this year’s presidential election (an event commonly known as Super Tuesday).

The results from the event are showing conclusive evidence that the presidential race will be between President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump. Nikki Haley, Trump’s final Republican opponent, dropped out of the race following the Super Tuesday results.

With the presidential election just months away, a new generation of voters is gearing up to cast their votes. 

Being able to vote is a huge milestone to hit age wise as an American citizen and 18 year old Venice seniors are excited. 

“A lot of my students seemed really enthusiastic,” said social studies teacher Leah DiVincenzo. 

Many eligible Venice seniors took advantage of their opportunity to participate in civic engagement and came out to vote in the primaries.

“Voting for the first time was an exciting new step into adulthood,” said senior Lauren Nichols. “It’s a thing we now get to start exploring.” 

The new wave of young voters is going to be very influential to the future of our government. Voting ensures that citizens have a voice in our government, and while it may not seem like it all the time, younger voters can help make changes. 

“Collectively I think it does make a difference,” Nichols said. “Even if it might be small, it’s mighty.” 

DiVincenzo added that she hopes to see more students exercising their right of civic engagement as it truly can make an impact on the future of the United States. 

“Their voices deserve to be heard,” said DiVincenzo. “Turnout of young voters can make a difference.”