Life At Venice High Comes Roaring Back

Grease Night, Pink Out, Homecoming animate campus culture after pandemic restrictions

Coretta Wilkinson and Zoe Woodrick

For the past two and a half years, Venice events have been canceled or postponed due to COVID-19 shutdowns. But now, adored, classic Venice events are back this month such as Grease Night, Pink Out, the Homecoming game and dance.

The Associated Student Body canceled many cherished staples, such as the annual Grease Night. However, it finally returned October 1. It was the first Grease Night since 2019.

Grease Night was hosted by the Venice High School Alumni Association on Watson Field.

Principal Cynthia Headrick got to attend the event for the first time.

“It was wonderful to see so many Venice families, students, and staff as well as community members come to our campus,” Headrick said.

The Venice High School Alumni Association was able to present the Venice Hall of Fame inductees from 2020, 2021, and 2022 on October 14.

The latest and only 2022 inductee, former LAPD Commanding Officer, Cory Palka ’81 along with others were inducted at the Homecoming game’s halftime show.

Other inductees include the 2020 inductees, Marilyn Bergman Sands, Grant Francis, Betty Bomeisler Edwards, Kevin Fidel, and Jim and Kathy Blackwood.

The 2021 inductees were Joannie Sommers, Tom McCraw, Dr. Nicole Marquez, and Dr. Thomas Yoshikawa.

Elda Nunez-Gasca set up the induction ceremony for the additions to the Hall of Fame.

“I think that honoring these Venice alumni is a plus for the community to see how successful they are in their lives,” she said. “The students here can look up to them, see their faces on plaques in the hallway.”

Sophomore Jillian Griffin said her favorite event so far was the Pink Out football game and fundraiser for breast cancer awareness, October 7.

“It’s essentially fun for a cause,” said Griffin. Griffin also attended Grease Night, the Homecoming football game and the Homecoming Dance.

“It’s starting to feel more like a regular high school experience, similar to the movies where everyone’s laid back and showing school spirit,” she said.

Math teacher Sue Oh is guiding her leadership students to the best of their abilities when it comes to planning events. This year is Oh’s first time as the ASB adviser and she started teaching during the pandemic.

“I’m not really sure what the ‘Venice culture’ is yet,” said Oh. “I’m learning as I go.”

Headrick thinks everyone is doing what they are safe with, including herself.

“I am very comfortable with the outside events, when the events are indoors, I do think about COVID,” she said.

“More events will come back as restrictions relax.”