Avocados Are Amazing, But Heavily Underappreciated

Amy Carranza

Avocados are the most elite fruit ever, pear-shaped and growing on trees typically in California, South America, and Mexico. Their rough, dark green outer skin contains a bright green silky smooth texture that tastes refreshing, creamy, and deliciously simple—along with a large seed found in the middle which is not edible. 

Avocados are incredibly underrated and unappreciated. I have met so many people telling me they think avocados are basic, boring, and bland, but these people don’t know how to appreciate Mother Nature’s gift. They don’t recognize the health benefits that the ground, sun, water, and plants have given us through consuming avocados.

Amy Carranza

Firstly, avocados don’t need much to enhance their flavor. All you need is salt and olive oil, and there it is: heaven sitting on a plate on your kitchen counter. If you want, you can add tomatoes, tuna, or potatoes. This is a healthy and tasty alternative to snacks like Takis and Cheetos as avocados have many health benefits.

One of the main health advantages avocados provide for the human body is their ability to prevent heart disease, high cholesterol, and reduce high blood pressure. According to Harvard Health Publishing, “One serving of avocado provides up to 20 percent of the daily recommended dietary intake of fiber, a nutrient that’s often lacking in the typical American diet.” They also say that fiber-rich diets may lower heart disease risk as much as 30 percent.

Avocados are also helpful to digest when managing your weight, as they stimulate your body to feel full for a longer duration of time, and thus reduces the feeling of hunger and can contribute to lower calorie consumption.

Along with the incredible health benefits of avocados, their awesomeness doesn’t end there. Avocados are very versatile, which means they can be adapted in different ways for different dishes. Avocados can be mashed to make guacamole which can be added to potato chips, tortilla chips, tacos, burritos, rice and beans, tamales, and scrambled eggs to name a few.

Full meals that avocados can be added to include avocado toast, avocado toast with eggs, avocado and deviled eggs, avocado sandwich, avocado salad, avocado smoothie, avocado hummus, chocolate moose avocados, and even grilled avocados.

Whether you agree with me or think avocados are gross, it doesn’t matter. Because I know in my heart avocados are amazingly delicious, so don’t worry if you disagree with me; it’s okay to be wrong.

View Comments (2)