Poetry Slam Is Back To Share Student Expression

Students in the library practice poetry performances for GetLit – Words Ignite! slam team audition

Packed with powerful voices, the Poetry Slam showcased student poets, who shared their individual poems, preparing them for the GetLit – Words Ignite! competition.

Returning back to the library, students performed their chosen poems and responses under the guidance of English teachers Hazel Kight-Witham and Sam Cline.

During periods 1-4, the performances are practice for the slam team auditions. Each poem was different, allowing each student to share a unique story that was very different from the last.

Junior Zara Seldon responded to ‘Windfall’ by poet Jamaica Baldwin with “Name: Snow White. Occupation: Pretty.”

Seldon’s selections explore themes of identity and societal expectations, adding a critical lens to the Poetry Slam that challenges the audience to think deeply about the narratives we inherit and those we create.

“I chose this piece because it talks about womanhood with such vulnerability, and I like how it examines the way race and gender identity affect how we approach relationships,” she said.

Seldon began writing poetry in sixth grade in a Harry Potter journal and has continued to find outlets for her writing since.

“I applied for a writing program at the University of Iowa, and attending this program opened my eyes to the ways in which poetry can
be used as a form of emotional expression.”

Each poem at the Poetry Slam offers an intense and personal perspective into the lives of students on campus.

Senior Kayden Torres shared the original piece he chose, “Woman Work” by Maya Angelou, alongside his response poem titled “Watching Her Work.”

Angelou’s work felt deeply personal to Torres, reflecting his own life experiences.

“It reminded me a lot about what my mom had gone through last year since it was harder on
her than the rest of my family,” he said.

“The piece is about a woman working all the time and she hopes to get some point of rest during her woman task.”

Each poem at the Poetry Slam offers a glimpse into a unique story. This event highlighted poetry as a form of expression and connection, celebrating young voices, each eager to share their perspective and experiences through the art form.