Chillax and Watch These 2000s Flicks With Ur BFFs

From rom-coms to watch with your friends to thrillers, these nostalgic films will transport you back in time

Movies are the best way to transport back in time. You could get lost for hours in another world, whether it’s by yourself or with your favorite person. From twenty years ago to now, we can all agree that the 2000s had some of the most  iconic movies. The humor of these movies was so ahead of its time and they always have meaningful endings.

This guide can help you decide what to watch when with your family, or besties, and when you feel like having a good cry or scare.

Chick- Flicks to Pick

She’s the Man (2006)
An amusing film for everyone in the family, She’s the Man is a movie in which Viola, a teenage girl, played by Amanda Bynes, poses as her older brother Sebastian.

Viola attends a boarding school in Sebastian’s place so that she can play on the soccer team.

She hangs around bobblehead boys and tries her best to act manly but hilariously fails, like her hyping herself up by saying “I can do this! I’m a dude! I’m a hunky dude!”

Viola ends up falling in love with Duke, her dreamy roommate, played by Channing Tatum, but Duke has a crush on a girl who likes Sebastian. Everything becomes an entertaining mess.

She’s the Man is hilarious because of all the back-and-forth between her two lifestyles as her older brother and a teenage girl.

Freaky Friday (2003)
Freaky Friday is a classic Lindsay Lohan movie. Anna, played by Lindsay Lohan, and Tess, played by Jamie Lee Curtis, are complete opposites who don’t get along and couldn’t be more different.

Anna is the lead guitarist in a band with her friends who are always rocking out in the garage and making her mom’s ears bleed. Tess is a single mom who wears suits to work and sports a karen haircut.

The morning after an argument, they wake up and realize they’ve switched bodies. They attempt to figure out how to switch back but in the meantime, they’re forced to live each other’s everyday life.

Jamie Lee Curtis shredding guitar and saying things like “Can you like… chill for a sec?” is what makes this movie so fun to watch.

Anna and Tess begin to understand each other and develop empathy for one another. The interactions between
Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis feel natural and create hilarious scenes.

I Can’t Help Falling In Love… With These Movies

The Notebook (2004)
The Notebook is the most heart-wrenching second chance romance, having an unforgettable ending that will make anyone cry.

Starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams who have undeniable chemistry that radiates off the screen. Gosling plays Noah and McAdams plays Allie, they fall deeply in love but Allie’s parents disapprove of Noah and his paper boy hat.

Noah’s devotion to Allie will have you thinking, when will someone build me a house or swing from a Ferris wheel for me?

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)
A journalist, Andie, played by Kate Hudson, decides to push the boundaries of her writing and gets the idea to publish a piece on how to get a guy to break up with you in 10 days.

Her editor loves the idea and sets out to find the perfect guy to experiment on. She chooses Ben, played by Matthew McConaughey, who is extremely confident in himself.

He makes a bet with his friends that he can make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days. They begin dating, both attempting to achieve their completely opposite goals.

Full of banter and clever comments like, “Besides, why would I need to hit on another woman?” and “You’ve got more than enough personalities to keep me occupied,” will have you laughing with your chest. Hudson and McConaughey’s energies bounce off each other.

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days has everything a good rom-com needs and its cheesy ending will leave you smiling from cheek to cheek.

Feeling Emo

Hachi: A Dog’s Tale (2009)
Based on a true story, Hachi is beautifully arranged and shows how dogs are the best friends anyone could ask for.

Richard Gere plays professor Wilson who adopts a sweet dog named Hachi. He and the dog grow extremely close together, every day when Wilson is off of work he and Hachi meet at the train station.

The friendship between the two of them is heartwarming, you’ll be wishing you could climb through the screen and hug the little furball.

With a saddening story and emotionally twisting soundtrack, this dog tale is sure to be engraved in your memory and heart.

500 Days of Summer (2009)
500 Days of Summer is a love story disguised as a feel-good but the further you watch, it grows into a tragedy. This movie leaves you feeling empty but in the best way possible.

The love story starring Joseph Gordon–Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. Levitt plays Tom who seems desperate for love and Deschanel plays Summer, a girl who just couldn’t care less. Summer suddenly dumps Tom, leaving him like a lost puppy.

He reflects on their relationship and 500 days together, trying to find a reason as to why she left him. Throughout the movie, Tom comes to a better understanding of himself. 500 Days of Summer tells a bigger story of depending on others for your happiness and needing to be self-fulfilled before you can give yourself to someone else.

Killer Thrillers

Donnie Darko (2001)
A goosebump-enducing tale with a demonic-looking bunny, Donnie Darko represents troubled teenagers in a way that isn’t stereotypical or cringey.

When nearly escaping an accident, Donnie Darko, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, has a dream of Frank, a weird cosplayer who tells him the world will end in 28 days. Mysterious crimes like a flooded school and burned down house begin occurring in Donnie’s small town.

This movie explores mental health, concepts of alternate universes, time travel, and thrifted bunny costumes.

Not only is the acting amazing from Gyllenhaal to Drew Berrymore, Patrick Swayze, and many other talented actors but it also has a great soundtrack.

The ending was executed perfectly and if you really think about it, Donnie Darko is just about a boy and his psycho imaginary bunny.

Jeepers Creepers (2001)
Jeepers Creepers is basically about a random creep with road rage. College students Darry and Trish are on their way to visit their mom when a violent truck driver begins terrorizing them in the middle of a desolate countryside highway. Instead of running from the creeper, they attempt to save someone he held captive.

The first 30-40 minutes are almost perfect, extremely tense, and so-so creepy.

Jeepers Creepers is an underrated Justin Long film, his character makes you want to yell at the screen and the creeper will make you feel uneasy.

After watching this movie, anytime a large truck is driving behind you on a highway, you’ll feel creeped out.