Age Really Does Matter in Teen Relationships

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ren Juarez

Ren Juarez

Ren Juarez

Samantha Espinoza, Reporter

Age differences do matter in a relationship, especially in high school. For example, a 14-year-old student dating someone that is the same age isn’t criticized or even talked about much. Because the two people in the relationship are the same age, it is considered normal in today’s society. On the other hand, a 14-year-old student dating someone who is 21 is harshly criticized because of one person being over the age of 18.

The wider the age gap, the more unacceptable the relationship is considered. Teens in high school need to avoid getting into a relationship with someone who is over 18.

When you are a minor, you are not mature enough to have an intimate relationship with someone who is already an adult. In some relationships, statutory rape comes into play because of the couples’ decision to have sex, even though it’s consensual. To avoid getting in trouble with the law or even your parents, don’t date someone over the age of 18 while still in high school.

After you are 18, age shouldn’t matter as much because you are an adult, free to make your own decisions in life. Think about it. A lot of adult couples today are more than two to four years apart and no one comments on that. Your life essentially becomes less magnified, as it should be. Nobody should feel the need to question your relationship choices when you are an adult.

Opinions about other people’s relationships and age begin to fade as you become an adult because no one cares about your personal life. Your private life as an adult, in regards to relationships, should stay exclusive to you.

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Age Really Does Matter in Teen Relationships”

1. Habib on July 30th, 2018 1:19 PM

I was in a relationship around 3yrs with a girl whom I don’t know her age that I hv never asked but as we are communicating with each other she always ask me my age and I told her but I don’t understand what really she want from my age. What shall do about it, I think I need advise from elders.

2. Milan on September 22nd, 2018 1:15 PM

I’m 14 and in love with a 18-year-old boy. is that too old?

3. Neneh on October 11th, 2018 4:36 PM

I am seventeen and I am in love with a fifteen years old boy is it bad??

4. Nayan on November 15th, 2018 9:48 AM

I’m 13 and I’m dating a 19 year old. I’ll be 14 in January. I am mature enough to be with him. He’s been a great influence in my life and has made me happy for when I was depressed cause I do suffer from depression. I can tell I’m mature because everyone here at school is ******* disgusting and I wish i could snap their necks.

5. anoymus on December 4th, 2018 10:51 AM

I’m 14 and I just started talking to this 16 year old. She likes me but doesn’t want to get serious because of people at school. What do I do?

6. Anonymous on December 17th, 2018 2:04 PM

I’m 14 and I really, really like this 17 year old girl who is going to be 18 next year. And she really, really likes me. But we don’t know what to do.

7. Yabets on February 11th, 2019 11:24 AM

Is any matter that my girlfriend is five months older than me?

8. Eloise on February 26th, 2019 2:31 PM

I’m 14 and in year 10 and I’m talking to a 16 year old in year 11 is this ok?

9. You don't need to know on March 4th, 2019 11:56 AM

Alright, bit of background here, 20yo male, raised Christian. This is speaking to all the people who commented on this, in my experience it is not so much the age difference as it is the maturity factor, to be 100% honest, if you aren’t looking for a life long partner, and you are just looking for a partner for the heck of it, or because you see everyone around you coupling up, you aren’t ready regardless of if you are 14 or 50. I know people that were MARRIED when they were 14 and 17 and they stayed together for LIFE, so it can happen, it just needs to be the right people, so wait, I truly believe there is a perfect match for everyone….. if they wait for the right person, but when you meet them the age difference will not matter. Do not let society impose it’s standards on you, obviously be cautious if someone several years older is approaching you, but if you know it is the right person, and more importantly 999/1000 times, whoever your father figure may be, approves of them, then go for it. Sorry for the long post, just remember that both this article AND my comment on it are both OPINIONS, take them with with a grain of salt and as my Mom would say, chew the meat, spit out the bones.

10. Emma on March 22nd, 2019 12:35 AM

I am 16 turning 17 in 2 weeks. I like someone who is 25 he is fine with it but wants to wait till I’m 17. We had been friends for a while and I now have feelings for him but is it stupid to want a relationship with him should I just stay friends and just try to turn off the feelings and go for someone else.

11. anonymous on April 2nd, 2019 9:57 AM

i am 13 and my girlfriend is 14 is that okay?

12. Meshak on April 5th, 2019 1:36 PM

Am 14 yrs almost turning 15 and am in love with a 17 years girl is that perfect match.

13. Ubaid on May 10th, 2019 8:16 AM

I am 18 and my gf is 14
    Is that ok.
    Deep love Each Other
    Love ❤😘💞😍 Sam

14. anonymousandrogymous on May 13th, 2019 8:55 AM

Ok, i’ve read some of the comments and, it’s ok to date when you like 14 yrs old when you’re like, 13 or something.

But if you are 25+ and like minors (Below 18/17. idk which.) What the heck do you see in a not fully developed child? There is definitely something wrong there. See, it is called pedophilia. It means liking or having attractions towards a child romantically. Or sees kids as a romantic interest.

It is definitely wrong. People keep on encouraging others and say “Oh~ age is just a number. It doesn’t matter how old they are~” like wtf guys. It DOES matters.

If your reason is because you feel like you are mature enough to date someone so old, and like, feel like you are so in compatibility with someone, that’s just crap. You are only like in teen years, you haven’t fully develop in mind nor body. You probably haven’t have experience with a lot of people in life, which is why there is a big possibility that you feel that way because of your inexperience and when you experienced something new towards a person, you feel like they are so special. When in reality it is some common traits that a lot of people have. But you just haven’t have that knowledge towards people yet.

Honestly, I have a friend who is 16 years old. She has this big crush on someone who is 11 years older than her. When I asked her if she’s okay with the idea of dating someone that old (especially when she is still considered as a minor.) she answered that “Age is just a number.” That reaction shocked me. That cliche kind of answer feels like a petty excuse to love someone younger or waaay older than you. Just because you think it’s ok, doesn’t mean it is.

At the very least, you should wait until you’re like 18 years old. The age where you are fine with making your own decision and think more rationally than before. But for your information, the brain will fully develop when you are at the age of 25. but whatever thats so random.

This stuff is probably harsh for the lot of you, but that’s only because I didn’t try to be flowery with my words.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Age Really Does Matter in Teen Relationships

Opinion

Schools Need Gardens

Opinion

Three Overused Fashion Trends

Opinion

Why You Should Go To Oakgrove

Opinion

What We Can Learn From the College Admissions Scandal

Opinion

Is Being Busy Good for Teens?

Opinion

The Value of Reading Comics

Opinion

The Value of Senior Standouts

Opinion

Do Parents Have the Right To Pierce Their Babies’ Ears?

Opinion

Editorial: Student Advocacy for Gun Reform Must Persevere

Opinion

The Value of Platonic Love