The Oarsman

Back to Article

Age Really Does Matter in Teen Relationships

Ren Juarez

Ren Juarez

Ren Juarez

Samantha Espinoza, Reporter

Age differences do matter in a relationship, especially in high school. For example, a 14-year-old student dating someone that is the same age isn’t criticized or even talked about much. Because the two people in the relationship are the same age, it is considered normal in today’s society. On the other hand, a 14-year-old student dating someone who is 21 is harshly criticized because of one person being over the age of 18.

The wider the age gap, the more unacceptable the relationship is considered. Teens in high school need to avoid getting into a relationship with someone who is over 18.

When you are a minor, you are not mature enough to have an intimate relationship with someone who is already an adult. In some relationships, statutory rape comes into play because of the couples’ decision to have sex, even though it’s consensual. To avoid getting in trouble with the law or even your parents, don’t date someone over the age of 18 while still in high school.

After you are 18, age shouldn’t matter as much because you are an adult, free to make your own decisions in life. Think about it. A lot of adult couples today are more than two to four years apart and no one comments on that. Your life essentially becomes less magnified, as it should be. Nobody should feel the need to question your relationship choices when you are an adult.

Opinions about other people’s relationships and age begin to fade as you become an adult because no one cares about your personal life. Your private life as an adult, in regards to relationships, should stay exclusive to you.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Age Really Does Matter in Teen Relationships”

1. Habib on July 30th, 2018 1:19 PM

I was in a relationship around 3yrs with a girl whom I don’t know her age that I hv never asked but as we are communicating with each other she always ask me my age and I told her but I don’t understand what really she want from my age. What shall do about it, I think I need advise from elders.

2. Milan on September 22nd, 2018 1:15 PM

I’m 14 and in love with a 18-year-old boy. is that too old?

3. Neneh on October 11th, 2018 4:36 PM

I am seventeen and I am in love with a fifteen years old boy is it bad??

4. Nayan on November 15th, 2018 9:48 AM

I’m 13 and I’m dating a 19 year old. I’ll be 14 in January. I am mature enough to be with him. He’s been a great influence in my life and has made me happy for when I was depressed cause I do suffer from depression. I can tell I’m mature because everyone here at school is ******* disgusting and I wish i could snap their necks.

5. anoymus on December 4th, 2018 10:51 AM

I’m 14 and I just started talking to this 16 year old. She likes me but doesn’t want to get serious because of people at school. What do I do?

6. Anonymous on December 17th, 2018 2:04 PM

I’m 14 and I really, really like this 17 year old girl who is going to be 18 next year. And she really, really likes me. But we don’t know what to do.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left

No School On Halloween?

• Age Really Does Matter in Teen Relationships

Opinion

Women’s Basketball Deserves More Respect

• Age Really Does Matter in Teen Relationships

Opinion

Is College the Right Choice for Everyone?

Navigate Right