Kendrick Lamar’s New Album

Vayran Martinez, Reporter

Rapper Kendrick Lamar released a new album by the name of “DAMN” On April 14. According to many reputable sources online, it is arguably one of the greatest albums he has released, and many Venice students agree.

“He took some risks to provide better lyrics,” said junior Dabbin Kim.

Personally, I believe that this album is a breakthrough compared to his previous album. I don’t normally listen to this genre of music, so it astonished me that I enjoyed this album so much.

The song “HUMBLE” debuted as #2 on “Billboard Top 100” on April 22 and it is predicted that it will be #1 on May 6, 2017. It was up at #2 because the lyrics, for some reason, have some impact to the general audience.

According to Christopher R. Weingarten over on the Rolling Stones, he says that DAMN “explores what we traditionally know as a ‘rapper’ more than on any of his albums to date.”

The way Lamar expresses himself, is different to the way he would have done it in the previous albums. “Is it love for the streets when the lights get dark? Is it unconditional when the ‘Rari don’t start? Tell me when your loyalty is comin’ from the heart,” is a pretty great series of lyrics in the song “LOYALTY.” The beat that he uses in this song is very intriguing, and is uplifting in certain aspects.