Law and Youth a New Class at Venice High School

Aracelly Cotrina, Reporter

This semester Ms. Judith Cooper is teaching Law and Youth classes. Prior to teaching this class, she only taught health. This is an intro to law class, so she teaches the basics and more criminal law because she said the students really like it.

This is her first semester teaching this law class and she will continue to teach it in the spring of 2018. Her health class is also a one semester class so she will teach it in the fall.
Students say that she gives out worksheets and they watch law-related movies to help them understand the concepts better.

Ms. Cooper mentioned that she was a lawyer before she became a teacher so that’s where she got her knowledge. Ms. Cooper said that she went to law school for three years. She represented doctors and hospitals in medical malpractice lawsuits and she worked on personal injury defense cases.

“This class is very helpful to me because I want to be a social worker,” said junior Celeste Arredondo. “I really enjoy this class because she also teaches about the history of law.”

The class is part of the ALPS program. “Our goal is to provide our students with a strong foundation in academics within the fields of law… Academy of Law and Public Service works to provide our students with the skills needed to be highly competitive in the 21st century workplace and the global economy,” according to the Venice High School ALPS page.