Football Team Splits First Two Games

Mya Gates

Football players in a huddle before game against St. Paul, which Venice lost 10-34.

Vayran Martinez, Reporter

In anticipation of the regular football season, Coach Angelo Gasca prepares his team with some games against some very impressive football teams, one of them being Cathedral High School.

The Gondos faced a very strong team that had some great strategies, in their first home game against St. Paul Aug. 25.

Venice lost by 24 points. The final scoreboard was a whopping 34-10. The Venice football team managed to tie up at the beginning of the second quarter, with team captain Justin Cauley (J.C) scoring the touchdown. Unfortunately, St. Paul quickly caught up.

“We struggled, we definitely could have played better, but we learned that we have to work harder next time,” said Coach Gasca.

“There was a lot of energy both from us and the fans,” said Cauley. “We didn’t play as one. Sadly there were a lot of injured players.” The Venice football team had a pretty rough start, but the team captain said, “It is only one game, we have a lot more to work on, but a lot of effort can get the job done.”

“In the future, we have to work together as a team,” said Cauley.

It looks like the Venice football players will be working hard to redeem themselves in future games.

“We are trying to get better every week by developing each player, so that by the end of the season we’ll be at our best,” said Coach Gasca.

Venice High recently came back Aug. 31 with a score of 18-15 versus El Camino Real High School. “We showed little improvement, it was really hot, everyone did have an important role which sowed much contribution. It was very fulfilling,” said Coach Gasca.

The next home game will be on Sept. 22. Be sure to come support the Gondos!