Founder’s Day Dinner

Rebecca Halfacre, Sports Reporter

The Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA) celebrated its 121st Founder’s Day Dinner on Tuesday, March 6 in the Student Cafeteria. Mr. Vicente along with Chatelaines and Esquires and other volunteers helped transform the cafeteria into a Hawaiian Paradise, with food, like pineapple rice, and fresh flowers. The evening was kicked off with a performance from the Venice High School Allegros.

PTSA president Gloria Halfacre said that the PTSA was recognizing a few people  who have been dedicated advocates for students, giving of themselves tirelessly, without complaint and asking nothing in return. She said the work of a volunteer is never truly done, as there is always something or someone who benefits from the selfless efforts that are contributed.

Jasmine and I are Venice alumni, and I fondly remember working the snack bar at football games and volunteering for numerous community events along with fellow Knights and Ladies,” said honoree Craig Jaffe. “As parents at Venice for the past five years, it’s been wonderful to be involved in so many ways to help support and grow the VHS community. While volunteering and being involved in our children’s education is its own reward, this year we were honored to receive Continuing Service Awards from VHS PTSA in recognition of our efforts.”

This year’s honorees, chosen by members of PTSA, are exemplary in their commitment to volunteer service. At the event, they acknowledge the PTSA founders, past Venice High PTSA Presidents and honorees as well as the senior class and ASB presidents, Bryce Rodriguez and Shara Wade. This year the PTSA presented parents: Jasmine and Craig Jaffe, David Kent, and Gloria Halfacre, teacher Tracy Nomachi, and senior student Eric Mejia with the Honorary Service Award.

Nehanda Akili, Taylor Anzai, Tracy Boulanger, Rene Compere, Rudy Flores, Johnny Garcia, Rebecca Halfacre, Trish Halfacre, Marcia Haresh, Maria Harrison, Tallish Hicks, George Hyashibara, Kit Hyashibara, Glen Hyashibara, Rosi Kent, Jolie Linder, Denise Sample, Lois Saucedo, April Taylor, Jasmine Vela, Virginia Villalta, and Sylvia Villasenor were also acknowledged for their continuing service to Venice High.