“Westside Story” Musical to Premiere Next Month

West+Side+Story+spring+musical+rehearsal+

Mya Gates

West Side Story spring musical rehearsal

Jennifer Romo, Entertainment Editor

This upcoming school musical “West Side Story” has been one of the most successful musicals at Venice High School. According to Drama Director Tracy Thrasher, West Side Story hasn’t been performed at Venice for 20 years.

The show will be about a modern Romeo and Juliet who are involved in a gang, on the harsh streets of the upper west side of New York in the late 1950s. The Venice production will have a real balcony scene. There will also be a live professional orchestra throughout the whole performance.
The cast of the musical is very excited about their upcoming performance.
“The musical is going to be very professional,” according to senior Shara Wade. “The sets are going to be huge and the dancing is amazing and we have been rehearsing a lot to provide an amazing show for everybody.”

“This is a not to miss performance”, said Ms. Thrasher. “The cast has been working very hard including the weekends for a fantastic performance, which will be very enjoyable.”
The cast consists of athletes, singers, actors, and dancers coming together. It involves an extensive amount of exciting dancing especially.

The musical will be presented on April 20, 21, 27, and 28 at the Mark Twain Middle School Auditorium, 2224 Walgrove Ave due to construction at the Venice High auditorium.
Students can purchase tickets from a cast or crew member for $10. The tickets will be $12 at the door. Ms. Thrasher said she hopes many people will show up to the musical and support everyone that is involved in the production.

The cast will include Tony – Alejandro Sanchez, Riff – William Clifford, Maria – Tiffany Lavalle, Anita – Shara Wade, Bernardo – Omar Cruz, Chino- Merary Guidel, Action -Jesse Fabian, and Anybodys- Nev Campos Doc- Jalen Greenberg, Officer Krupe – Axel Velasco, Diesel – Rene Garcia, Baby John – Tyler Stoner, Arab – Jenna Malino, Big Deal – Jaden Corona, Snowboy – Edward Luna, Tiger – Norberto, Velma – Esther Waters, Indio-Kylon Wade, Graziella – Jasmine Coro, Pepe – Caleb Wade,,Consuelo – Paula Diaz, Rosalia – Arshia Smith, and Glad Hand-Jalen Greenberg.