Grease Night

Oakgrove selling crepes at Grease Night.

Julissa Ventureno

Julissa Ventureno

Kelly White

It has been exactly 40 years since the iconic film “Grease” was released. Venice High School has never been the same. Every year children and adults create their own costumes to imitate The Pink Ladies and T-birds. They wear their leather jackets, swoop back their hair, and take pictures with the Grease Lightning vehicle.

Grease Night took place on Saturday, Oct. 20 at Venice High School’s Watson Field from 4-9 pm.  Students, parents and community members came together to enjoy food, games and the movie. Visitors were also able to win special prizes in a raffle, which included a basket of goodies, along with a copy of “Grease.” The film began at dusk.

Among the attendees were former Venice High School students, who came to support different clubs and booths.

“I attended the event with my family,” said Alumni Marysol Juarez. “We took pictures with the iconic Grease Lightning car. We also walked around the field and donated to causes like the AIDS walk and some clubs. My brother and I got to relax while trying the various snacks the event had to offer.”

Juarez, class of 2017, brought her family for the first time.

“It’s definitely an event I plan to attend every year,” Juarez said. “It was a memorable experience for my family and I, especially since we watch Grease often.”  

Along with alumni, students were also able to contribute into making Grease Night happen. They began to set up at 2:30 pm and had all booths prepared for visitors at 3:00 pm. The booths consisted of clubs such as Associated Student Body (ASB), Journalism, Black Student Union (BSU) and much more. They offered appetizing snacks from cotton candy to soul food, which appeared to be everyone’s favorite part of the event.

“It was such an incredible experience,” said junior Maryssa Rodriguez. “My favorite part was spending time with friends, eating food, and enjoying a wonderful movie filmed at the very school I go to.”

Although there were technical difficulties projecting the movie at the beginning, the crew quickly fixed the problem. The crowd sang along to all the classic songs throughout the film. At the end, the audience erupted into cheers. The event ended at 9:30 pm, sending families back home with unforgettable memories.

“I loved Grease Night, it is an event I will forever remember,” said Sara Castro, mother of two. “My kids enjoyed it and will be coming back next year.”