International Day of Peace

Jennifer Romo, Managing Editor

Sept. 21 was International Day of Peace, which Venice High School celebrated on campus. This years’ celebration was sponsored by World Language and Global Studies Magnet and the Media, Arts,Technology Academy. Students created their own posters to celebrate peace. Throughout nutrition, lunch, and during class periods, students took a look at all the different sort of posters that represented hope. The paintings represented equality for all people too.  For instance, one of the posters was about stopping world hunger since no one deserves to be starving.

Carmen Perez
Students make posters for Peace Day.

The UN General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples. It is celebrated each year to recognize the efforts of those who have worked hard to end conflict and promote peace.

“To me peace is a feeling of calm, serenity, contentment and the feeling that all is well in my world,” said senior Darling Victoriano. “I really hope someday all people can unite together despite their different beliefs.”

Senior Kimberly Flores  made a poster representing the LGBT community. She drew people holding hands with the pride colors to promote people coming together.

There was also a peace challenge on campus. Students were asked to think of a small difference they can do to make a positive impact on someone’s life such as a free hug or compliment and hashtag it on social media. Students also made cranes for peace.

Carmen Perez
Paper cranes represent peace.

“I strongly believe in making people happy with all sorts of  small compliments that can make someone’s day and help them smile,” said senior Meleane Sutherland. “My hashtag on Twitter was #makesomeonesmile.”

Every student seemed to be extremely interested in the activities that were provided. Everyone appeared to have a really good time, and were making the world a better place at the same time. There were many different posters, even in different languages which astonished many students when analyzing the posters. Overall, it was a great experience for everyone to learn the different techniques that are needed to promote peace in a crucial world.

“I believe Peace day at Venice High was a huge success,” said Ms. Nomachi. “I’m very proud of the students for being extremely engaged in the activities and showing interest in making the world a better place.”

Desmond Andersen
Ms. Hiroko Nomachi coordinated the event.