International Anne Frank Exhibit Hosted At Venice High

Julia Escobar

Anne Frank exhibit comes to Venice all the way from The Netherlands.

Jacqueline Sanchez, Assistant News Editor

In early January, a piece of history was brought to Venice all the way from the Netherlands. The Anne Frank exhibition was in the Media building from Jan. 7 through 11. It was organized by Ms. Nancy Zubiri and sponsored by the consulate of the Netherlands. Venice High was one of 32 schools in California to have the exhibit at its school and was also one of the few high schools to participate.

There was a series of panels that told the story of Anne Frank and how her family hid for two years during the Holocaust. It also explained how Adolf Hitler gained control over the youth in Germany during the 1930s. There were also panels on the book “Night” by Elie Wiesel. “Night” is about his experience with his dad in Auschwitz and Buchenwald concentration camps from 1944-1945.

Mostly 10th grade students in English and history classes went to the exhibit because they were learning about the Holocaust in class.

“I really liked the exhibition and it was really interesting to read about Anne Frank,” said freshman Emily Catalan.

Annelies Marie Frank was a Jewish girl growing up in Nazi Germany. She died in a concentration at the age of 15 in 1945. She gained fame when her writings, “The Diary of a Young Girl” was published in 1952. She wrote about her life hiding from the Nazis from 1942 to 1944, during the German occupation of the Netherlands in World War II. Anne Frank provides an authentic look at the painful life of a young Jewish girl during the Holocaust. She wrote the diary while hiding from the Nazis in Amsterdam . She was only 13 years old when she and her family went into hiding.