Girls’ Tennis loses in Semi-Finals

Mae+Cante+playing+one+of+her+last+games+of+the+season.+

Jessica Sample

Mae Cante playing one of her last games of the season.

Edryan Calderon, Reporter

Reading Time: < 1 minute

A strong playoff run made by the girls varsity tennis team, led to the Gondos reaching the semifinals before losing to Cleveland High School 5-2.

The highlight of this run was beating Banning High School in the playoffs. 

“Banning was ranked second in the league so beating them was a proud moment,” said Violet Fowler, a member of the girls tennis team. Fowler, a junior, who unfortunately didn’t get to play the final game of their playoffs, but even then she supported her teammates during the 4-3 win over the Pilots.

Their first playoff match was against Marshall High School, who the Gondos defeated 6-1, before taking on Banning.

The Gondoliers finished the season with a record of 6-5.

“I think as a team we learned some valuable lessons that will be able to put into effect next season,” said Olivia Berman, a sophomore who played throughout the Gondo’s playoff run. She said she looks forward to playing next season and displaying the skills she’s gathered from playing with her teammates and against tough competition. 

The Gondos season started with a four-game winning streak over league opponents but lost five of their next seven matches. Coming out of a slump, the girls varsity tennis team headed into the playoffs ready to beat its competition.