Venice’s Star Runner Andrea Gallardo Trains with Olympic Stars

Edryan Calderon, Reporter

Reading Time: < 1 minute

After taking the city title for the three-mile run on Nov. 30, Andrea Gallardo, who is known to be one of Venice’s best female runners of all time, was given the opportunity to go to Dodger Stadium, said Coach Sandoval. During her time there, she was able to run a 5k and do warm-up exercises with other students from different schools, and even some stars in the world of running.

“I felt more so inspired as I got to meet my running idol, Alysson Felix,” said Gallardo, who is the captain of the girls’ cross country team. 

Felix is a six-time gold medalist and a three-time silver medal winner at the Olympics, competing in the 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016 games, making her the most accomplished female runner in track and field history. 

“She is inspirational to me since she was told she couldn’t run because she was pregnant at the time, but she didn’t listen and instead continued to run,” said Gallardo when asked about why she was inspired by this specific runner.

Gallardo said the experience was able to grow more as a person, as the emotions she felt as she was running while kids were watching, made her realize that this is what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

“It meant a lot to me, seeing the kids smile and seeing them look at me run inspired me, as i knew i wanted to be a role model to them like Alysson Felix was to me,” she said.

Even now Gallardo looks to further improve her running speeds and technique to reach greater heights.